Equity and Social Justice Assessment and Evaluation
Increasingly, implementers have to speak to the ways in which their interventions are addressing equity and social justice issues, requiring both an assessment of past and present practices, processes, and results and a vision for how to do more in the future.
Given their role, expected contribution, and training, evaluators are well positioned to gather the evidence on how implementers are addressing these issues and to share results. However, evaluators often lack the tools to systematically assess and evaluate equity and social justice in diverse contexts and at different phases of the intervention (and evaluation).
This course will provide practical tips and tools that evaluators need to do this essential work! Participants will:
- Develop an understanding of the complex but essential topic of equity and social justice considerations in the evaluation field
- Gain concrete tools to tackle these issues more systematically and successfully in their practice
This course is ideal for people working at the intersection of evaluation and social justice and for implementers who wish to understand what equity and social justice assessment entails.
The course is delivered in two virtual instructor-led modules, described below. Classes will take place online via Zoom. Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
Module 1: Equity and Social Justice in Evaluation Theory
October 25, 8 a.m.–11 a.m. EDT
In the first module, participants learn about the theories and approaches that focus on equity and social justice issues in the evaluation field. The module will cover:
- The conceptualization of “equity” and “social justice” as notions in the evaluation field
- Distinguishing equity and social justice from other relevant concepts (e.g., equality, diversity, inclusion, participation, and empowerment)
- Evaluation theory and equity and social justice
- Evaluation theories and approaches that tackle equity and social justice issues
Module 2: Equity and Social Justice in Evaluation Practice
October 27, 8 a.m.–11 a.m. EDT
In the second module, participants will learn how to use particular tools to provide sound evaluative evidence about equity and social justice practices, processes, and results. This module will cover:
- Understanding the multiple issues and aspects of equity and social justice
- Evaluation tools for equity and social justice assessment and evaluation
- Considering equity and social justice in different contexts, including in complex settings, and different stages of the evaluation process
- Putting equity and social justice assessment and evaluation tools to use