Framework Weaving Course Description
Can evaluation frameworks be successfully combined? Can Theory-Driven Evaluation be used with Appreciative Inquiry? Is it possible for Experimental Design Evaluation and Culturally Responsive Evaluation to be used in tandem? Evaluators often feel “constrained” by using just one framework. Yet, there is little practical guidance to show them how to bring multiple frameworks together.
In this course with Bianca Montrosse-Moorhead, participants will learn all about evaluation practice framework weaving, and how it relates to evaluation models, theories, approaches, and methods. They will (1) investigate various framework weaving options, (2) explore a case study that shows framework weaving in practice, and (3) apply what they have learned to weaving practice frameworks together. Challenge questions we will explore throughout the course include:
- What is evaluation practice framework weaving and how does it relate to existing evaluation models, theories, approaches, and methods?
- What are examples of framework weaving in practice? How do they enhance an evaluation’s quality, coherence, relevance, and usefulness?
- What process can you use to intentionally weave together practice frameworks? What challenges can arise and how can you address them?
This course is delivered in three interactive modules. Classes will take place online, via Adobe Connect or Zoom. Certificates of completion will be provided at the end of the course to all participants who successfully complete the three modules.
Please contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Module 1: Framework Weaving Foundation
It is a globally accepted standard that evaluators should understand and be able to use evaluation practice frameworks. Sometimes these frameworks are called theories, approaches, or models; yet, they all provide a framework for weaving together principles, values, methods, and philosophical and theoretical underpinnings that are threaded throughout an evaluation process. In Module 1, participants will:
• Compare successful framework use experiences and identify the common themes that made them a success
• Recognize the value of framework weaving at different parts of the evaluation process/lifecycle
• Describe framework weaving foundations, including relevant terminology and framework groupings
Module 2: Case Studies of Framework Weaving
Evaluation practitioners often wonder whether different practice frameworks can be used together and wish they had a practical way to think about how to combine them. The exciting news is that frameworks can be combined and there are many examples to turn to for inspiration. In Module 2, participants will engage in a variety of activities to:
• Explore real-life examples of framework weaving through a case study
• Practice constructing a framework weaving plan using evaluation vignettes
• Begin to critically reflect on the quality of framework weaving plans
Module 3: Using Framework Weaving in Your Practice
In Modules 1 and 2, participants develop an understanding of what is possible with framework weaving and explore different examples of successful practice. However, being able to use and weave evaluation practice frameworks requires practice. Module 3 will focus on application. Through a mix of hands-on activities and individual and small group work, participants will:
• Draft, present, and get feedback on a framework weaving plan for one of their evaluation projects
• Recognize and be able to address common challenges that arise during the framework weaving process
• Understand best practice with regards to framework weaving and be able to put this knowledge to use
To learn about upcoming course deliveries,